Saturday, November 29, 2008

Traditional Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Tradition


This year, unlike last year, I bought a whole turkey. It was challenging to find a real small one, but I did finally! I also decided to make as many dishes as I possibly could - turkey, stuffing, sides and a pie. I guess all the time that I spent watching food network for the last one month paid of, because I think I put out a pretty good spread... good by my amateur standards that is. I tried to capture all of it in the picture above.

The Menu
- Herb Roasted Turkey
- Carrot-Celery Stuffing
- Gravy
- Spinach Cranberry Casserole
- Sauted Brocolli n Mushroom
- Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
- Corn Bread
- Beetroot Salad
- Apple Pecan Pie
- Apple Cider

I marinated the turkey 3 days in advance. The marinade was straight out of one of Ina Garten’s recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-roasted-turkey-breast-recipe/index.html

I followed it to the T and baked it for 3 whole hours. Yes it did turn out to be a little dry in the center but on the whole I think I did a decent job… SK, my unfailing food supporter, said so at least!

For the Stuffing: (also courtesy food network)
Ingredients:
3 whole celery stems cut into medium pieces
½ an onion cut lengthwise
2 whole carrots cut lengthwise
2 tsp sage
2 tsp minced garlic
½ cup cooking wine
1 cup chicken broth

Method:
- Sautee the onion in olive oil and garlic.
- Add in the celery and carrots once onion turn brown
- Add the sage, the chicken broth and the cooking wine; simmer together for five minutes.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

The gravy and the corn bread were both made from a packet. It was the first time I’ve baked cornbread. I cut down on the butter which is why it turned out a tad bit dry.

The next 3 posts will have the recipes for the casserole, beans and pecan pie. Honestly, the meal wasn’t lip-smacking delicious but I’m glad I went all out. It may not have been a traditional meal but it sure was a tradition that I’d like to keep going… for years to come.