Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chutney

Today I made something I've never made before. Chutney! Simple, fresh, Indian chutney. I'm not sure what prompted this because I usually buy chutney from the Indian store. Perhaps the need to be frugal or maybe I just found myself with time on my hands, which is rather unusual for me on a Sunday. So well, I made chutney. Here's the recipe I pulled off the net.


I think sorting the cilantro took longer than anything else but worth the effort 'cause I now have a bottle of home-made chutney in the fridge.

Recipe: 1 bunch fresh mint
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
1/2 inch piece of ginger root
salt to taste
1 green chili
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons amchoor (mango powder from Indian grocery, or substitute more lime or lemon juice)
1/2 cup onion
1/4-1/2 cup water for blending

Preparation: 1. Clean the mint leaves and cilantro leaves.
2. Add all ingredients except the water together in a blender or
3. Blend/process and add water as you blend.

Refrigerate and enjoy during the week.