Friday, October 26, 2007

Date & Carrot Cake

My mum loves to bake. Of all her varied confections, my favorite is her date and carrot cake. Among the many things that she gave me when I left home was the recipe for this cake. Over the last five years, her keenness to have me bake hasn’t dwindled and she continues to enthusiastically mail me recipes every now and then. I even have something about a banana loaf somewhere in my inbox. I know for a fact that she fervently hopes that at least one of her daughters develops an interest in baking. I being older, the onus is on me. I don’t know if I will ever be able to make the perfect date and carrot cake from scratch but I know that I’m sure as heck going to try………someday soon!


Date and Carrot Cake:
INGREDIENTS
2 cups maida
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped dates


DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate larger bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla by hand. Stir in the oil; the mixture should resemble pudding. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, and then fold in the carrots and dates. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.


Serve warm with alotta love!

No comments: