Sunday, October 28, 2007

Madras Sarvanabhavan - NYC

Yeah we went to New York and yeah we went to a Madras Sarvanabhavan. So what! I guess you can get us outta South India but you can’t get the South-Indian outta us. I’m glad we went though, I actually tasted two dishes I’d never heard of or seen in my life.

The first one was an appetizer called ‘mini idli’. It had about fifteen bite-size idlis soaking in a bowl of sambar. The idlis were really ‘mini’, almost as small as a quarter! It was delicious. The second item stole the show. It’s called ‘Kuthu Parota’. It’s a cross between a paratha and a dosa and stuffed with vegetables. It was spicy and just out of this world. I haven’t seen this dish served anywhere else.


I ordered the ‘Pesarattu’. This is another uncommon variety of a dosa. The batter is made of ‘moong dal’. The dosa is therefore slightly green in color. If you order the stuffed pesarattu, it comes stuffed with ‘upma’!!! (unlike a masala dosa).

Dessert; ‘Sabudana Kheer’, can you get anymore South Indian than that?

The picture says it all, we definitely had a mouth-watering, lip-smacking, sambar-slurping meal!